Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Jalapeno Polenta Scones

I believe this is the first time I attempted scones and they turned out really well. I had one with a bowl of soup for a nice, rainy-day lunch :) The polenta and sour cream made it possible for the dough to come together without butter so this scone is much healthier than most. I used a mixture of whole wheat and gluten free baking flours, but use any kind you want. By the way, I love Bob's Red Mill for flours.

Makes 6 scones

Ingredients:
-2.5 cups flour, plus more for dusting
-1 Tbsp. baking powder
-Salt and Pepper, to taste
-1/4 cup nonfat sour cream
-1 egg
-3/4 cup prepared polenta
-2 jalapenos, seeded and diced

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 1 serving of polenta according to the package directions (or use the store bought stuff in the tube!) Allow to cool for a good 20 minutes.

2) In a standing mixer bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt/pepper. With the dough hook attachment, combine the sour cream and egg into flour mixture. Incorporate the chilled polenta until a soft, crumbly dough forms

3) On a floured surface, knead the dough for about 5 minutes while incorporating the diced jalapeno. Roll into a half-inch thick square. Cut into 6 equal pieces.

4) Place the scones on a greased baking sheet and score the tops of each with an X shape. Bake for 40 mintues.

2 comments:

  1. You serve these with soup Jamie? Interesting! Are they really spicy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I just happened to have it with a bowl of soup that day, but it could go good with other things I'm sure. They are pretty full of fiber so I even have one as a snack. And they aren't too spicy. If I had more than 2 jalapenos on hand at the time, I would have actually put more in.

    ReplyDelete